SENSORY DIET
I’m sure that if I were to use the
word diet many, if not all, people would think of a food diet. This paper is going to introduce you to a new
kind of diet called sensory diet. I
became aware of this diet about a year ago and it has made quite a difference
in my life. Unlike food diets it has
nothing to do with the amount of calories you intake. A sensory diet deals with the nervous
system. It is designed to help provide
the right amount of sensory input your body needs. Most people do not require such a diet, but
those of us that do will appreciate this information.
Most sensory diets are designed by
occupational therapists working with children.
However teenagers and adults can benefit from such a diet. To find out what areas you should work on,
take a survey. This will then lead you
to the area of concern. The following
are the sensory areas and activities to consider.
Proprioception
Proprioceptive
input deals with the sensations from joints, muscles and connective tissues
that lead to body awareness. The diet
deals with lifting, pushing and pulling.
For toddlers you could firmly hug them or press on their legs and arms. Jumping on a trampoline is great exercise and
gives an enormous amount of pressure and input.
I personally use a steamroller.
Its design comes from a variation of a squeeze machine designed by
Temple Grandin, an adult woman with autism who has become quite famous because
she has overcome many obstacles even with her disability. My steamroller is designed like the old
wringer washing machines, with 4 big rollers that I squeeze my body through. After being squeezed, my body feels less
tense and I am able to focus much better.
Vestibular
Vestibular
deals with the inner ear. Movements such
as spinning, rocking, or hanging upside down, gives the body what it needs to
calm and focus. For the very young child
spinning him like an airplane or spinning on a spin disc toy are some of the
activities that can benefit the child.
However, be careful not to over stimulate. As the child gets older, he should know when
enough is enough. For the teenagers and
adults, rocking in a rocking chair, swinging in a hammock is socially
acceptable and beneficial.
Tactile
Tactile
sense helps you be aware of the deep pressure, textures, light touch,
temperature and pain. I have many issues
with this area. I am an extremely picky
eater because I can’t tolerate new textures in my mouth. I can’t wear certain clothing and I don’t
like to wear shoes. For young children,
it is suggested to have available many “yucky” items to play with, and play
dress up. If these activities were done
with me, I may be more tolerant today.
However, now at the age of 15 I am slowly improving. I need to continue trying new foods and
textures. Learning to accept new
textures, leads to improvement in other areas of concern.
Auditory
Auditory refers
to what we hear and how we listen. This
area is extremely problematic for me. I
can’t tolerate most loud noises especially when I am not prepared for it. They suggest that children should walk in the
field and try to pick out certain sounds being able to block out the unwanted
sounds. I have great difficulty blocking
out unwanted sounds. I need to train
myself. A person who has trouble sleeping
because of sounds can listen to nature CDs such has rain falling, or waves
splashing. I personally watch TV to fall
asleep. It works very well for me. It has also been suggested to stay focused by
using back ground CDs that are designed to desensitize someone with issues with
the flush of a toilet, thunder or for me applause, yelling, and school
bells. These sounds really bother me
even if I know they are coming. It isn’t
always the loudest sounds that are bothersome.
Each person is different. I wear
headphones listening to music when appropriate.
This helps a lot.
Visual
Visual
distractions are the worst. I have a
particularly hard time in rooms with lots of clutter and color. My room is dark blue and uncluttered which is
good for me. I along with others, have a
hard time with light. If I am over stimulated
I can’t sit still and need to move or maybe run to get away. The suggestions for this is if at all
possible, hide the clutter. It is
suggested to use neutral colors and plain carpet or rugs with no patterns. The hardest room in our school for me is the
art room. There are way too many
distractions. I have learned to focus
better in art by being allowed to wear headphones and listen to music. This has helped immensely. Some children, on the other extreme, need the
bright colors to focus. Not me.
Smell
I do not have
a problem with smells. But those people
who do have a hard time concentrating and focusing when the smells are
powerful. Suggestions for these people
are try to condition yourself to accepting certain smells by making the smells
available to you in small dosages at first and then increasing. Also smells can be comforting to you and can
help you focus or even sleep better.
Occasionally my mom will put a certain kind of oil on my wrist before I
go to sleep to try to comfort me. I
enjoy the smell and it is relaxing for me.
All of these
senses together can drive a person a little crazy if each of them is overly
sensitive. A sensory diet is the answer
and occupational therapists have the answers.
Most OTs are not trained in sensory integration, but those who are, are
irreplaceable. My OT, Karen Dent, has
been an enormous help to me. I have
improved so much since she has been working with me. I think any child or adult with autism would
benefit from a sensory diet.
No comments:
Post a Comment