I am 19 years old as of July 30th. I celebrated my actual day in the truck coming home from vacationing in Texas and New Mexico. My mom, sister, and I traveled with the Fiquets to the Southwest visiting canyons, hiking, and star gazing. The days, of course, were hot; however, that didn't stop us from exploring. Even Sammie, my service dog, and I hiked Caprock in Texas and Chaco Canyon in New Mexico. In Chaco Canyon, I loved imagining the year was 1600, and Sammie and I were hunting for food, stopping under the shade of a cliff overhang. The stars, the first night we were there, were so brilliantly bright there was no need for flashlights. We spent the evening admiring the huge shadows being cast on the canyon wall by the campfires.
The shadows told a different story to each of us. I saw a Native American sitting around the campfire telling a group of excited children the legend of how their people came to Chaco Canyon. The canyon was so unbelievably beautiful that night. The quietness surrounded us like a blanket, and thousands of shimmering stars overhead illuminated tranquility, solace, and peace. The peace filled the air leaving me carefree and confident, enabling me to fully appreciate God's creation. All my so-called struggles floated away intertwined with the swirls of smoke from our campfire.
So my birthday, though spent in a truck, my birthday present had been phenomenal --- the opportunity to experience the world before the polluting of progress.
Happy birthday to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment