Who I am... Who I am Not... Who I will Be....

You are welcome to enjoy the words I have written. Please leave a comment if you would like to share your thoughts.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Honest Abraham.... and I......





Thoughts about Abraham Lincoln; The President and the Man

Abraham Lincoln, our 16th president, has been revered and loved by most Americans since his presidency. He has been given the honor of bringing equality to the African Americans as a result of the Civil War. I personally have learned some of his thoughts and actions recently and admire him even more. He was not only a great president but a great and wise man.
Abraham Lincoln was born on February 12, 1809, near Hodgenville Kentucky. He had one sister and lost a baby brother in infancy. When he was 9 years old, his mother died which left him terribly sad and lonely. However, when his dad remarried Abe learned to love his step mother and referred to her as his “angel mother.”
Having grown up in a home where education was not important, Abe had very little formal education. It has been said though, that he would walk miles to borrow books to read. When I think about him walking miles to read and students today won’t walk an inch to open a book, it speaks volumes to the kind of character Lincoln possessed. That kind of grit and determination is what made him one of the most, if not the most, respected president in our country’s history.
Having only heard about his presidential accomplishments, I thought that his claim to fame was being a great leader for our country. Now I see a different person, not just a president. He said, “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four hours sharpening the axe.” I love this quote. I think he was the kind of person who carefully thought through a problem before acting. He obviously felt that acting impulsively, could lead to an undesired result. Knowing this about him leads me to wonder how many sleepless nights he must have had during the Civil War.
We, as Americans only associated him with the Civil War and equality for African Americans. But, he was a husband and a father as well. He must at many times in his life did not look at himself as an important historical figure, but just a man in quest of happiness. “People are just as happy as they make up their minds to be.” This quote of Lincoln’s speaks volumes to me. Everyone is in control of the kind of life he chooses to live, whether it be a life of contentment or gloom. Each individual has the capability to make the best of a bad situation with grace, honor and even happiness.
I have taken from Abraham Lincoln’s life a life to admire and honor and somewhat imitate. His determination to rise above his poverty to become a beloved man and president inspires me. I am encouraged to overcome my obstacles to become the best that is within me. I will make up my mind to be happy and carefully plan, without impulsiveness, each step I take, toward that happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment