Who I am... Who I am Not... Who I will Be....

You are welcome to enjoy the words I have written. Please leave a comment if you would like to share your thoughts.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

FAITH; LOST, FOUND, CHERISHED



          Loss is a terrible thing no matter the circumstance. In the autobiography Night by Elie Wiesel, written in 1958, loss is something Elie cannot overcome. Elie suffers with the loss of his home, community, town, family, respect and ultimately his God. You and I feel loss when someone close to us dies because of sickness or accidents. We, as a result, rely on our God to help pull us through. Elie has lost everything including his trust in God. Is this loss temporary? Can Elie find his way back or are the incidents he witnesses too harsh for anyone to forget, let alone accept? Elie finds himself in a situation people rarely recover from, however Elie, with persistence and prayer finds his answer.
          When Elie is young God, is so important to him. Shlomo, Elie’s father, noticed his devotion because of his son’s constant prayer.
He watched me one day as I prayed at dusk.
“Why do you cry when you pray?” he asked, as though he knew me well.
“I don’t know,” I answered, troubled.
I had never asked myself that question. I cried because….because something
inside me felt the need to cry. That was all I knew.
“Why do you pray?” Strange question. Why did I live? Why did I breathe?
“I don’t know,” I told him, even more troubled and ill at ease.
“I don’t know.” (Wiesel, Elie. Night. 1st. New York: Hill and Wang, 2006. 4. Print.)
          Thus we recognize prayer is a way of life to Elie. Prayer sustains the young Eliezar to his core because without praying to his God, Elie is unable to be nourished and live. Elie feels the presence of God in every pore of his body and loses control of mortal thoughts. Elie is consumed by the love of a God he is openly spending his entire life, to not only love, but to serve.
          Serving God is a passion that quickly fades with the loss of Elie’s home and town, but his faith, although dented, remains just as strong.  “It was to be the last night spent in our house. I was up at dawn. I wanted to have time to pray before leaving.” (18)
          Elie knows with the dawn of the next day, his life would change completely. Elie knows all the comforts of home will be gone, but he could and would not let the nazis take his faith to a deserving God. Elie believes that wherever his family is placed, he takes comfort in the knowledge that the one thing that will hold them together is their belief in God.
          Elie holds on to this amazing faith like holding on to a runaway train. Elie knows the train, God, is testing him and he tries desperately to keep a tight grip. However, the circumstances and experiences are horrific and he finds his grip loosening with every passing day. Elie questions God’s love constantly; in the death that surrounds him, the anger in the eyes of his captors and even in the watered downed soup he devours each night. Elie wants to keep hoping that God’s love will prevail, but the train keeps moving faster and faster.
          The train filled with terrified Jews arrives at Aushwitz, “not a convelesant home,” where they experience anger at its highest. Angry German robot soldiers push, shove, and demoralize the horrified Elie. Ellie needs to remain strong for himself and especially his father, but Elie’s faith is tested in ways that are unimaginable. Ellie and his fellow Jews experience sights of babies being shot and hangings without cause, and no one utters a word in protest or even prays to God openly to make it stop. Is Elie loosing his faith? The faith Elie has always thought would follow him through life?
          Why, but why would I bless Him? Every fiber in me rebelled. Because He caused
          thousands of children to burn in His mass graves? Because He kept six
          crematoria working day and night, including Sabbath and the Holy Days? Because
          in His great might, He created Auschwitz, Birkenau, Buna, and so many other
          factories of death? How could I say to Him: Blessed be Thou, Almighty, Master
          of the Universe, who chose us among all nations to be tortured day and night, to watch
          as our fathers, our mothers, our brothers end up in the furnaces? Praised be Thy
          Holy Name, for having chosen us to be slaughtered on Thine altar?
Elie is so blind with anger, and that very anger is what drives him. Ellie gets swept away with anger and allows himself to naturally question God and even the presence of Him or the lack thereof. Elie cradles this anger and holds fast which in turn makes him stronger. This strength is what drives Ellie, but his anger troubles him. Elie refuses to let God off the hook.
          But now, I no longer pleaded for anything. I was no longer able to lament.
          On the contrary, I felt very strong. I was the accuser, God the accused. My eyes
          had opened and I was alone, terribly alone in a world without God, without man.
          Without love or mercy. I was nothing but ashes now, but I felt myself to be
          stronger than this Almighty to whom my life had been bound for so long. In
          the midst of these men assembled for prayer, I felt like an observer, a stranger.

          As Ellie’s anger grows he finds himself further and further away from God. The only thing Elie has left to remind him of the days with prayer and God is his father. Elie can survive anything knowing his father is always with him. But, even that grace is taken away in the middle of the night.
           When I came down from my bunk after roll call, I could see his lips trembling;
he was murmuring something. I remained more than an hour leaning over him,
looking at him, etching his bloody, broken face into my mind.
           Then I had to go to sleep. I climbed into my bunk, above my father, who was still
           alive. The date was January 28, 1945.

           I woke up at dawn on January 29. On my father’s cot there lay another sick person.
They must have taken him away before daybreak and taken him to the crematorium.
Perhaps he was still breathing….
           “No prayers were said over his tomb. No candle lit in his memory. His last word
had been my name. He called out to me and I had not answered.” (112)

            No prayers are said either by a rabbi or even by Ellie. Shlomo, his beloved father, is gone and now so is his God. Elie has lost the fight and wonders if he will ever find his way back to God. How can a deserving God do this to anyone and expect devotion? Ellie has to answer this question before he is able to find his faith. Elizer Wiesel’s faith is cremated along with his father and six million other Jews.
Elie’s faith at this point is gone. Elie no longer mentions God’s name or even prays to him. Elie is free from his human captors but not free from the anguish they caused. Will he ever be whole? Will this broken man feel alive again?  “One day when I was able to get up, I decided to look at myself in the mirror, a corpse was contemplating me. The look in his eyes as he gazed at me has never left me.” (115)
          Not only is Elie’s human body the appearance of a dead body but also of a dead soul. Elie sees nothing in the mirror of the spiritual being he once knew. The eyes are hollow and sad with grief. Did God really allow this all to happen?
          Elie’s faith dissipates along with the smoke above the crematorium’s smokestack. Each day Elie watches it float away with the smoke he has learned to hate. So hating God seems natural to him, but then he is reminded of the little boy deep within, that devoted his entire life to God. Could Elie really hate the God he had always relied on and depended upon? Or could he just be angry? Elie decides that anger can eat away at someone and without the help of God could destroy a person’s sole reason for living. Elie understands that it is ok to be angry as long as the anger doesn’t destroy you in the process. Maybe being angry at God actually saved Elie’s life allowing him to become stronger and fight his way through. So, Elie is willing to let that anger and hate float away with that infernal smoke. Not to be forgotten but to love his God once again who saved Elie from eternal hatred. The God, who is with him always.
Wiesel, Elie, Script. First Person Singular. Dir. David Grossbach. Perf. William, Hurt. PBS, 2002. DVD.




No comments:

Post a Comment