Who I am... Who I am Not... Who I will Be....

You are welcome to enjoy the words I have written. Please leave a comment if you would like to share your thoughts.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Making Memories


The Bevier Homecoming is arriving, and the excitement in the air fills our senses. Past experiences remind us of the sights, smells, and noises associated with this fun-filled, annual, event. However, the Bevier Homecoming of 2009 will always remain one of the most memorable to me.
Picture it”, as Sophia would say, Prokup kitchen, August 6, 2009. The counter is littered with junk food, brought by my Adams cousins from St. Louis and Fort Collins. They know the only thing we will eat for the next three days is juicy, mouth-watering, famous homecoming hamburgers. At the table Connie’s painting Dominica’s toenails; Pat is sorting makeup; Katherine is giving suggestions on the interview, while feeding Gracie. Dominica is going to be in the queen contest and Gracie will be in the baby show.
My sister, Dominica, has always loved all sports. She never wears dresses or makeup; she’d rather be outside playing basketball. So when she decided to be in the contest I knew it was due to the fact that Pat, our cousin, was coming. She wanted Pat to be a part of the sure chaos the contest would inevitably bring. And chaos is a mild expression for what occurred.
Early on the day of the event while putting on makeup, and curling hair, everyone was excited and anxiously waiting for Dominica’s interview. As the time arrives, last minute advice is given and more hairspray is applied. As she leaves, the heavy mist of hairspray, fingernail polish, and perfume linger in the room and three loyal cousins are collapsed in chairs. The Adams salon can take a much needed break.
Break’s over and Dominica returns with confidence about the interview. Now it’s time for Gracie to get dressed. A darling blue and green dress is chosen and with her cousin, Jeanne’s, theatrical knowledge, a flowered headband is added. Gracie is a beautiful sunflower smiling and enjoying her first time on the stage at the homecoming. Now Connie and Dominica leave for the long hours of preparation and waiting for ten-thirty.
My mom, who’s in charge of the Thursday night program, like her mother before her, paces back and forth in nervous anticipation. She walks to the Baptist Church building where the contestants’ dresses look like a rainbow lining the walls, hanging wrinkle-free. As she brushes by, her hands feel the different satiny materials, and this unconsciously causes her to smile. She talks briefly to Dominica, who, along with Connie, assures her everything is under control.
As I sit and wait, I listen to the sounds of the carnival rides. I’ve never liked that constant roaring in my ears. It makes me want to run uncontrollably as fast as I can into peaceful silence; the kind of silence sky divers experience when their parachute opens. But these sounds belong here, so I accept them as I wait for my sister’s appearance. Life is full of sacrifices and I embrace this one lovingly.
I will never forget how elegant Dominica looked that night in her gown of red. She walked with grace and a certain endearing loveliness. I was so proud to be her brother. As she accepted the Roberta Hunter Mc Vicker award, Miss Congeniality and ultimately first princes, my heart was jumping out of my chest. This was my big sister; the same girl who played, swam, and read with me through the years. She deserved this honor and all the happiness that goes along with it. Her bright smile showed me she was truly enamored by this special moment.
I looked at the smiling faces around me and realized Dominica was a respected young lady. I saw my families’ faces showing not only pride, but love. She managed to turn a long, tiresome, and chaotic day into a glorious evening. I relished in the thought that this remarkable person allowed all of us to share in her excitement, especially our cousin Pat. Dominica had given us an unforgettable homecoming; she’d brought the Adams cousins together to create many precious memorable moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment