The houses are abandoned-looking,
however inside women are weaving and the men are gardening in the
back yard. The streets are littered and the stench of urine is heavy
in the air. When you walk through this very poor area, you get the
feeling of despair, but then you hear the sound of laughter. How can
children’s laughter resonate from such an ominous picture?
Suddenly emerging from the crowd of children is the reason. Mohandas
Karamchand Gandhi.
I had heard of
Gandhi, but had never read anything about him until recently. The
autobiography about Gandhi was amazing. I felt mesmerized while
listening to the remarkable things he had accomplished in such a
short time. I now want to read everything I can get my hands on
about this miraculous man.
Gandhi was from
India, a small man with eyes filled with faith and compassion. He
was extremely underweight because of the constant fasting he observed
in protest for things he believed in strongly. He wore the
traditional Indian garb and went barefoot most of his life. He
entered many places of honor with this dress and bare feet and was
remarkably respected nonetheless.
I am totally
enamored by this man. He has the faith, compassion, and patience I
imagine Jesus Christ having while here on Earth. Gandhi had the most
amazing power with everyone he met. He was consistent with his
beliefs whether he was talking to the King of England or a poor
murderer who had just tried to assassinate him. He was severely
determined to teach the Indians both in South Africa and in India how
to gain independence peacefully. He was against violence of any kind
and demonstrated civil disobedience. He accomplished more in his
lifetime than most people ever attempt or even think about much less
care about. His love and respect for others, regardless of their
race, religion or nationality was unbelievable.
When my life is
finished on this earth, I hope to meet Gandhi in heaven. I picture
him waiting with open arms and heart, drawing me to him. In the mean
time I want to embrace his knowledge and wisdom and learn to live the
kind of life that he lived. I desperately want to find out more
about his philosophies and soak up all his answers to life, and apply
it to my own. I want to “fly without wings”.

No comments:
Post a Comment