The
smell of garlic fills the air as I walk up the back porch stairs.
She is sitting at her sewing machine, while supper is cooking on the
stove. The kitchen is crowded with chairs and tables, so much so, I
am unable to run. In the kitchen is the small table and chairs that
are for my cousins and me to sit on. The chairs are painted in
bright colors of blue, red, green and yellow. My chair is the yellow
one, because Louis has red, Jean has blue and Dominica has green.
Then as you walk further, the dining room table is beautifully set
for six, our parents. As the food is done, she rises from the sewing
machine where she is making me and my cousin’s pajamas to wear
Christmas Eve. Grunda, my grandma, says “It’s time to eat!”
Grunda
is no longer with me, physically, however always remains with me in
spirit. For as long as I could remember Grunda was like a large
comfortable blanket to me. She held me with more love than I have
ever experienced from anyone outside of my parents. She spoke to me
knowing my heart was speaking back. She had more love in her than
most people ever experience in a lifetime of relationships. She had
the most positive outlook on life, and absolutely never felt sorry
for herself. Life was meant to be enjoyed with no regrets.
Grunda
had blue eyes, brownish hair turning gray, and wore glasses. She was
a small Italian lady, with as much sassiness as most Italian women,
but also extremely modest and humble. This combination is what made
her unique. She knew when it was necessary to be sassy and
confrontational, and when it was not. She had the wisdom to
understand the importance of her actions and when to forget and
forgive. Her appearance was important to her and loved to wear nice
clothes with fun accessories. She especially loved the sweatshirts
we had made for her with a picture of us on the front. She loved
showing off her grandchildren.
Grunda
is special to me because she never was ashamed of me and yet she
always made me behave. She never once in my presence ignored me or
made me feel unwanted. Grunda accepted me for whom I was and had
great pride in me. She knew in her heart that I would become a
special person with special qualities with a special path in life. I
miss her smile, her voice, but especially her touch. She had big
hands for a woman. She could manhandle most things with great
strength, but her touch is what expressed her love to me.
Knowing
that Grunda is with me always, I feel her strength at all times,
leading me forward. She has set an example for me to follow. One of
courage, hope, faith, love and a little bit of sassiness.

No comments:
Post a Comment