Arthur Miller, an excellent
playwright, wrote The Crucible in 1953 while living in
Hollywood, California. This dramatic play shows Arthur’s
protagonist, John Proctor, struggling with decisions that affect the
future of his family and his community. Throughout the play we see
John develop emotionally and socially, continually searching for the
“fixed star,” John’s rightful place within his home and his
soul. With much agonizing thought, John eventually makes a decision
that shows bravery to reach the right choice. This bravery comes
with determination and ultimate love.
John Proctor is a farmer around 35
years of age. Proctor has a strong personality which limits his
patience with hypocrisy. Ironically John is hypocritical himself.
Living supposedly a Christian life, John finds himself in a love
affair with a beautiful young girl, Abigail Williams.
I look for John Proctor that took me
from my sleep and put knowledge in my heart!
I never knew what pretense Salem was,
I never knew the lying lessons I was taught
by all these Christian women and their
covenanted men! And now you bid me
tear the light of my eyes? I will
not, I cannot! You loved me, John Proctor, and what-
ever sin it
is, you love me yet! Miller,
Arthur. The
Crucible.
New York: Holt and Winston, 2000. 839. Print.
John lets temptation lead him. John
finds his actions with Abigail dishonorable and is trying to make
amends. What John does not realize is the depths in which Abigail
will go to get what she wants. Abigail is willing to risk everything
to be with John including lying. This lie is the seed that allows
the hatred of witchcraft and unwillingness to believe and trust in
good people to grow and fester, ultimately killing human lives.
One of the good and decent people
in Salem is John’s wife Elizabeth. John Proctor loves Elizabeth,
even though she doesn’t excite him as he would like. John has
faltered, and Elizabeth becomes distant. Elizabeth is hurt but is
not walking away or lashing out. This silence is driving John mad.
John is caught between guilt and Elizabeth’s silent disapproving
manner. Elizabeth knows John could expose Abigail as a fraud, but
John is unwilling to expose himself in the process so he does
nothing.
Proctor: Spare me!
You forget nothin’ and forgive nothin’. Learn charity, woman. I
have gone
tiptoe in this
house all seven month since she is gone. I have not moved from there
to there without I
think to please you, and still an everlasting funeral marches around
your heart. I
cannot speak but I am doubted, every moment judged for lies, as
though I come into
a court when I come into this house!
Proctor: No more!
I should have roared you down when first you told me your suspicion.
but I wilted, and,
like a Christian, I confessed. Confessed! Some dream I had must have
mistaken you for
God that day. But you’re not, you’re not, and let you remember
it!
Let you look
sometimes for the goodness in me, and judge me not.
Elizabeth: I do
not judge you. The magistrate sits in your heart that judges you.
I never thought you
but a good man, John, only somewhat bewildered. (852)
John considers himself a Christian
man but because of his dislike for Rev. Parris, is negligent about
attending services. John is not able to pray openly with a man he
loathes. This action along with adultery has put John and God’s
relationship in question, both by John and the citizens in Salem. At
this time however, John has no idea his strong will will bring
trouble for his family and himself.
Unlike John, Abigail seems to have
refused a relationship with God. She leads the other girls to
falsely accusing innocent people of witchery. Abigail has one goal
in mind, which is getting rid of Elizabeth. The girls are fearful of
Abigail, and so they follow blindly. The courts arrest Elizabeth and
John begins the horrible journey between goodness and evil.
Why do you never wonder if Parris be
innocent, or Abigail? Is the accuser always
holy now? Were they born this morning
as clean as God’s fingers? I’ll tell you
what’s walking Salem-vengeance is
walking Salem. We are what we always
were in Salem, but now the little
crazy children are jangling the keys of the
kingdom, and common vengeance writes
the law! I’ll not give my wife to vengeance! (860)
The vengeance John speaks of is
Abigail’s vengeance against Elizabeth. John is not going to let
Elizabeth die because of his adultery. John realizes his actions
have created this mess and will not let Elizabeth suffer from it.
John will protect Elizabeth and bring her back. “I will bring you
home. I will bring you soon.” (861)
John decides to do whatever it
takes to free Elizabeth, which means John must destroy his good
Christian name. Knowing Elizabeth always tells the truth, John
speaks of his adulterous affair with Abigail. Ironically, Elizabeth
lies for John. I believe that at this moment, the love between John
and Elizabeth is as strong as it ever could be. Both are going to
extremes to save the other. Both are risking everything. John risks
his name, and Elizabeth risks her relationship with God.
John, trying to save his wife,
finds himself accused of consorting with the devil; another irony.
In trying to protect Elizabeth, he is accused of the very same thing.
The people in Salem, particularly the girls, have lost control of
the situation at this point, and fear and power have taken over. All
that is left for John to do is choose his path carefully and choose
it for the right reasons.
One path leads John to death, and
the other path leads him to dishonor. John makes the choice with
Elizabeth and their unborn child in mind. With much consideration,
John chooses God’s path. He chooses a life without Elizabeth, so
his wife, his unborn child, along with his other children could be
proud of him. John makes his peace with God and chooses love over
life.
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment