Art is everywhere;
however, most people never notice. Well, this past Friday art
was hard to ignore. My Art Club from Bevier took a trip to
Kansas City to visit
the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art. Our instructor, Bridget
Weimer, had
scheduled beautifully a fun-filled day, and lucky for us,
the weather was great!
The Art Club students
traveled by school bus; however, my mom and I went on
our own. Mrs. Weimer had told all of us what to expect, but
she couldn't have
prepared me enough for the art work I was privileged to see.
The sculptures were
absolutely wonderful, and because of my mom's constant mode
of modification I
was able to see it all stress-free.
In the past, on
family vacations, I have used a wheelchair to tour certain
buildings and museums. My mom thought for this trip the
wheelchair was the
answer, and, of course, she was right. Not only was it
stress-free for me but also
for her. The wheelchair alleviates the simple problem of
being unable to walk into
unfamiliar places with ease. Being in the chair takes all
that anxiety away. So
moving from place to place and being able to explore the
museum was
wonderfully smooth.
Mrs. Weimer had put
us in groups, and in my group I had a wheelchair buddy.
Jacob Tolle was injured, so he chose the wheelchair instead
of crutches. Needless
to say, we were quite the pair trying to find ramps, pushing
through grass, and
squeezing into tight elevators. Both of our parents got a
good workout, as well.
Jacob became a master at maneuvering his wheelchair and
could escape from
his dad. I, on the other hand, couldn't shake my mom.
After touring the
sculptures outside, we were able to attend a workshop where
the students could construct their own sculptures learning
about positive a
negative space. I
watched enthusiastically, admiring their creativity, but my favorite part of
the day was
yet to come. We then were allowed to, as a group,
tour the museum for 90 minutes. My mom and I walked through
on our own
because we didn't want to tie anyone down and we wanted to
explore the art of
our choice.
The museum was not
nearly as crowded as the Chicago Institute of Art, so for
me it had a much more reflective feeling. As we walked
through each room, I felt
the power of each painting, drawing, or sculpture. Each was
pulling me to that
time or place of conception. I felt as though I could close
my eyes and see the
artists at work. The silence that surrounded me was a
feeling of reverence for
these highly gifted people. Do you think that is why we tend
to whisper in
museums? All I know is, I could have stayed in those quiet
rooms looking at the
array of colors for much longer, but, of course, there is
never enough time.
My mom asked me
before we left if I wanted to revisit a certain room, and I
chose Roman art. The sculptures and paintings in this room
spoke to me in
volumes. The artwork was mainly religious in nature and gave
me such a
peaceful feeling. I am not saying the work was any better
than any others, but
the exhibits seemed to pull at me. I felt the faith of the
people at that time in each piece of
art. And while gazing and admiring these incredible
expressions of art, I felt my
own faith proudly showing in my whole being. I felt
rejuvenated and cleansed.
And some people say museums are boring! They must not really
examine what
they are seeing because not for one minute of this day was I
bored.
Thanks, Mrs. Weimer,
for letting me be included to experience a different
culture, different time, and different expressions.
Giovanni Panini. Antique Ruins with the "Parable of the Fish"

No comments:
Post a Comment