March
3, 1887
Today
I met Helen. She was wonderful. She was spirited, active and
defiant. Just the type of temperament she will need to survive in
the world that will be hers. I hope I am able to help.
Good
night Jimmie, I love you and miss you.
March
25, 1887
I
have been working tirelessly on Helen understanding that all objects
have names and what we are signing are those names. For weeks now I
have often thought it was hopeless. Hopelessness is an awful
feeling. I have this child’s life in my hands. If I don’t
succeed she will end in an institution and I will not allow that to
happen. So, today as we were walking through this beautiful
plantation we pumped some water from the water pump and it happened.
Helen’s face immediately glowed with understanding. She said "wa
wa" and from that word on she was like a sponge soaking up
knowledge faster than I could give it. What a miraculous day.
Good
night Jimmie, I wish I could have helped you.
July
30, 1887
A
terrible thing happened today. Helen and I were walking and came
upon a cherry tree that Helen immediately wanted to climb. The
weather was so nice that I chose to leave Helen in the tree while I
went to get our lunch so we could have a picnic. The weather became
very sultry and while I was making the lunch the sky became
dangerously dark. A storm was coming and Helen was out there alone.
I dropped everything and ran. I didn’t realize the tree was so far
away from the house. I ran the whole time worrying about my Helen.
If she fell I could have possibly lost another person whom I loved.
Luckily that smart little girl hung on tight and waited until I
touched her hand. I had not failed her.
Good
night Jimmie, sorry I failed you
September
19, 1887
Today
was a good day. Helen keeps asking what love is and I’m having a
hard time explaining and she is having a hard time understanding.
But today we have had somewhat of a break through. Up until now
Helen could not grasp abstract ideas. While she was stringing beads
today she was confused on the pattern so I asked her to think. She
said it was the beginning of understanding abstract ideas, which led
her back to love. Just then the clouds parted and Helen felt the
warmth of the sun on her face. She asked me if that was love and I
said no. I said “Love is something like the clouds in the sky
before the sun came out.” I hope she understands that I love her
unconditionally.
Good
night Jimmie I always loved you
Keep
your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows.
December
29, 1887
Today
Helen left the cage opened that held her beloved canary. She had
received the canary for Christmas and loved to touch and play with
her. I felt so badly for her. I recognized her pain; losing someone
she loves and not being able to do anything about it.
Good
night Jimmie, are you flying right now? I hope so.
May
15, 1888
We
finally made it. Helen and I are in Boston. She was so excited
about this trip and I was filled with mixed emotions. Visiting the
Perkins Institute was wonderful and sad at the same time. Wonderful
because I got to see my dear friends who helped me become who I am
today. But, sad because I remember so vividly the anguish that you
and I went through.
Good
night Jimmie, I hope you know I tried.
October25,
1888
Today,
once again Helen and I along with Helen’s sister Mildred found
ourselves in great danger. Having gone for a walk in the woods, we
came upon the train trestle that we knew would lead us back to the
cottage where we were staying at Fern Quarry. I was leery about
crossing the trestle, but night was upon us and we needed to get
home. As we were walking, we heard the chugging of a train and
smelled the smoke. Thinking quickly, I took Helen’s hand and led
her to the braces beneath the trestle. I had never been so scared,
not only for my life, but for Helen’s and Mildred’s. We managed
to survive and walked home to the safety of the cottage.
Good
night Jimmie, I am so glad you are safe.
April
2, 1890
Today,
again, Helen and I are working on her speech. I know it is so hard
for her, but she won’t give up. I think her determination and
stamina will in the end be the reason she will succeed.
Good
night Jimmie, someday Helen wills say your name.
June
5, 1890
We
arrived at the train station today and Helen’s entire family was
there to see and hear her for the first time. When she spoke, her
mother cried and hugged her so tightly. I can imagine how wonderful
for Kate, to hear her daughter say, “Hi mother, I love you!” for
the first time.
Good
night Jimmie, I always hear your voice in my head and heart
August
23, 1900
Many
years have past, and finally Helen has done what she always said she
would do. She entered Radcliffe College today and of course I was
right by her side. Helen is not only my student, friend, or even
child to me, she is someone much closer than that. I can’t imagine
a step made without her, a beautiful book read without sharing it
with her, or even a breath taken without her by my side.
Good
night Jimmie, you are on my left side, and Helen is on my right side;
hand in hand we will continue the walk through life.

Did I ever comment here and tell you just how amazing you are? Well, I should have. I absolutely love your work... you are a talented and beautiful spirit... Keep your joy...
ReplyDelete